Thursday, July 1, 2010

Stones and Pebbles...Pieces of You

"But what minutes! Count them by sensation, and not by calendars, and each moment is a day." -Benjamin Disraeli

So maybe I am thinking way too much lately, but I am trying lately not to overthink every aspect of my life. If you know me I twist and manipulate, pull apart and dissect. I always feel that things have a shiny layer to them but underneath there is an unpolished pebble that needs to be turned over. Under that pebble lurks the true identity of something, and I love things that are raw and rough.

I have a vase full of stones that I was able to collect with my Aunt and Uncle during a trip to Grand Marais, MI and if you know me you know that I hang onto very few things. I remember it like it was yesterday, a little chilly, rain misting in the air we spent so much time walking on the beach looking for these stones. My aunt would tell me to look at the stones in the water as you could tell how beautiful they were and she was totally right because the stones that were dry all looked the same.

Every year I take them out of the jar, rinse them off so that they are shiny again and hold those memories in my hand. Rocks look so beautiful when they are in water, you see the colors, the details and the shape. They are beautiful and unique. I lost my Aunt and Uncle in my early 20's way before I should have but what I do have is one of the most unique memories I own...

I spend every weekend pulling rocks out of the water at the lake, making a bonfire pit with the odd shaped ones, placing the beautiful ones in the landscaping, making rock walls in the water with the ones that show their true self when water glistens over them.

I am going to try and leave things shiny, covered in water, all of the imperfections hid.

No comments:

Post a Comment