Monday, April 11, 2011

If Spring won't come to you...you go to Spring!

 


















I love flowers, to me they bring back something from my childhood where my mom and I would take a special spot in the garden and plant rows of flowers from seeds.  The excitement of planting, wondering if they would grow, what they would look like...if I would win a blue ribbon at the fair.  Now those things seem so simple but back then it was my project, something I would have to water, no hose within reach only multiple trips from the house with a watering can.  I did hate one thing about the process...the weeding which always meant there were snakes lurking around...ewww I could have definitely lived without that.

Once the flowers would bloom I would spend hours cutting them and arranging them into multiple vases that were always placed around the house.  I dreamed of being a florist, owning my own shop a place where things were so quiet but surrounded by beauty.  I compare my dream to what I do now and they could not be polar opposites...nothing is quiet and things of beauty are not right in front of you and most of the time you have to pick something apart to find the good.  But I do believe if I had become a florist I would have lost my love for flowers and would have strangled it into a business, one where I might not have even seen the flowers anymore.

When I was 8 my grandmother passed away and although my memory is faded I remember that she loved violets so much that I remember them sitting on the kitchen table or on the window ledge. At her funeral violets were everywhere they even were laid with her in the detail of everything.

Things happen for a reason and I am glad that even at the age of 37, I stop and smell, touch and just drink in the beauty of a simple thing like a flower...I hope I pass this onto Cait as I feel this is a multi-generation love of something so beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment